Confidentiality & Medical Records
The practice complies with data protection and access to medical records legislation. Identifiable information about you will be shared with others in the following circumstances:
- Local GP Practices in order to deliver extended primary care services
- 111 and Out of Hours Service
- Local Social Services and Community Care services
- Voluntary Support Organisations commissioned to provide services by Wigan CCG / NHS England.
If you do not wish information about you to be used in such a way, please let us know.
Reception and administration staff require access to your medical records in order to do their jobs. These members of staff are bound by the same rules of confidentiality as the medical staff.
Freedom of Information
Information about the General Practioners and the practice required for disclosure under this act can be made available to the public. All requests for such information should be made to the practice manager.
Access to Records
In accordance with the new Data Protection Act 2018 regulations and EU General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), patients may request to see their medical records. Such requests should be made through the practice manager. No information will be released without the patient consent unless we are legally obliged to do so.
We aim to offer the following service:
- Surgeries will start on time
- Patients will be greeted and directed both helpfully and efficiently at the reception and on the telephone - The telephone will be answered promptly
- Repeat prescriptions will be ready for collection within 48 hours
- Patients will be kept informed of any delays greater than twenty minutes occurring during the consultation time
The NHS operate a zero tolerance policy with regard to violence and abuse and the practice has the right to remove violent patients from the list with immediate effect in order to safeguard practice staff, patients and other persons. Violence in this context includes actual or threatened physical violence or verbal abuse which leads to fear for a person’s safety. In this situation we will notify the patient in writing of their removal from the list and record in the patient’s medical records the fact of the removal and the circumstances leading to it.